Chairmen Send Letters to Secretary LaHood and President of Toyota USA Prior to Hearing
Chairman Henry A. Waxman and Subcommittee Chairman Bart Stupak wrote to James E. Lentz, President and Chief Operating Officer of Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A. and Department of Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood in advance of tomorrow's Subcommittee hearing.
A preliminary review of the documents provided by Toyota raises three concerns. First, the documents appear to show that Toyota consistently dismissed the possibility that electronic failures could be responsible for incidents of sudden unintended acceleration. Second, the one report that Toyota has produced that purports to test and analyze potential electronic causes of sudden unintended acceleration was initiated just two months ago and appears to have serious flaws. Third, Toyota's public statements about the adequacy of its recent recalls appear to be misleading.
In addition, based on a preliminary review of the NHTSA documents, it appears that NHTSA lacks the expertise needed to evaluate defects in vehicle electronic controls, and its response to complaints of sudden unintended acceleration in Toyota vehicles appears to have been seriously deficient.
- Letter to James E. Lentz, President and Chief Operating Officer, Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A.
- Letter to Ray LaHood, Secretary of U. S. Department of Transportation
- Exponent Report - Testing and Analysis of Toyota and Lexus Vehicles and Components from Concerns Related to Unintended Acceleration, February 2010
- Unwanted Acceleration Investigations on Toyota Vehicles
- Toyota's Lexus ES350 Investigation E-mails, August 2007
- U.S. Bound Vehicle Models and MY with ETCS-i
- Toyota Claim File 2005-08-38808
- Toyota Report on June 24, 2004 Briefing to NHTSA
- Detailed Timeline and Background of NHTSA Actions Regarding Toyota Sudden Acceleration
- Timeline of Major Events Involving Allegations of Sudden Acceleration in Toyota Vehicles
- Email from Chris Tinto Regarding NHTSA Briefing, June 28, 2004
- Email from Scott Yon to Chris Santucci with attachment, June 3, 2004
- Email from Scott Yon to Chris Santucci, May 12, 2004
- Email from Scott Yon to Chris Santucci, June 3, 2004
- Scott Yon Meeting Notes, April 2004
- Letter from Carole Hargrave, 2006 Toyota Tacoma driver, Nov. 9, 2006
- Letter from 2003 Camry driver to Jim Lentz, Mar. 5, 2007
- Letter from Troy Higa, 2007 Toyota Tacoma driver, June 28, 2007
More information about the Committee's examination of Toyota.